Thursday, May 22, 2008

Is going green just a fad?

Boy, I hope not. It seems everywhere I look, there are more and more ways to go green. Just last night I saw a car ad for "drive green." What will happen if gas prices drop? Will sales of Hummers rise again? Will hybrids be a thing of the past? I, for one, certainly hope not. There is a saying that I think of often in my day-to-day activities: You must be the change you wish to see in the world (Gandhi). I remember when I was about 8 years old and I was riding with my mom in our white Dodge (with lovely navy blue Naugahyde seats) and I asked her why I couldn't just toss my wrapper out the window. After all, it was only one little wrapper. What she told me has stuck with me all of these years: "It may be only one little wrapper, but what if everyone thought the same thing and tossed out all of their little wrappers? We would have litter everywhere." I have used that way of thinking as long as I can remember. Why would I want to recycle just this one little paper? What if everyone started to recycle their one little piece of paper? Wow, what smaller landfills we would have....

No comments: