Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Errands on Two Wheels

In order to keep myself green and lean, I am bicycling to all of my daily errand spots: post office, store (if needed), second post office, library, banks, and then back home. I can hit all of these in about an hour, and, depending upon how many stops I make, I travel about 10 to 12 miles each time. What a great way to not use gas, exercise, and enjoy the fresh air. Of course, it would be MUCH better if all these places were not located on busy streets. I would love it if the post office were located at the end of a meandering road that passed alongside a river and pastures. I could then turn at the red barn, ride past the field of clover and pull into the bank. After my banking, I could mosey on back home while dodging little chipmunks and waving at the occasional cyclist I would pass...sigh.... In reality, I ride over broken glass (actually, I am pretty good at dodging it now), try not to bite it as I cross a double set of railroad tracks TWICE and weave my way through cars and trucks to get my position at the stoplight. After turning onto the HIGHWAY I hum a happy song while maniacs try to cut me off, honk to see if they can scare me, and Ricky Racers who see if they can make the right hand turn before I do. It certainly keeps me on my toes...

What does this have to do with organizing? You would be surprised at what an unorganized backpack can do to your errand running. Take a moment before you head out the door to really think about all the things you have to do and all the places you have to go. Taking that extra moment to itemize everything will save you many headaches and an extra trip back home. Happy cycling!

No comments: