Thursday, August 14, 2008

File Retention or WHEN CAN I RECYCLE THIS STUFF!!!

People ask me all the time about what papers do they have to keep and for how long. I have my own personal guidelines that I go by based upon many conversations with my accountant and what I feel comfortable with. One thing I found out (that I thought was pretty interesting) is if I have the software and can recreate things like customer invoices, I can recycle all the copies of the invoices I currently have. I have been shredding them like crazy and it has really given me a sense of cleanliness. Who would have thought? I can feel the paper chains being released from my ankles as I write...

I found a great on-line document storage place called www.filesanywhere.com where you can place documents and keep them off of your computer. The smaller storage size is free and it can really give you a piece of mind. Contact your utility companies, credit card companies, any company that offers paperless statements. When you download your statement, reconcile it, pay it, do whatever you do with it, and then send it to www.filesanywhere.com. Set yourself free!!!

No comments: