Thursday, August 21, 2008

Filing Systems 101

In my experience of organizing offices, one basic thing is sometimes overlooked: creating a file system that works for you, not one you have to keep working for. Take a few minutes to decide how you want your files set up. What words will you use to find your car repair receipts? Auto? Mechanic? Toyota? And for gosh-and-golly sakes, share your thinking with anyone else who will need to access those files. When everyone is on the same page (literally!), filing papers and retrieving them will become MUCH easier. Did you know that the average executive loses six weeks every year just searching for misplaced files? Six weeks!!! Wouldn't that time be better spent lounging around the pool with a cabana boy at your beck and call? Six weeks!!! That statistic really blew my mind -- obviously.

As for your desktop files, same approach. If none of this makes much sense, call or email me. I'll put on my cape and fly to your rescue...

No comments: