Monday, June 30, 2008

Organizing 101: Open Your Mail

I have noticed a thread of commonality among the larger percentage of my clients: they don't like to open their mail. I admit, I used to be like that -- many, many moons ago, in another lifetime, as my other personality Sabrina. One thing I have learned, um, I mean HEARD is that bills do not go away. Really. They tend to grow like weeds. If they are ignored they can take over. Open the mail as soon as you get it. Take it from the mailbox and walk directly over to your recycle bin. Toss what is junk mail (except for my brochure -- which of course is VALUABLE!) and then open the rest. Sort it into 2 stacks: to read and to pay. It is much, much easier than finding unopened mail weeks later and one of those "URGENT" letters in your mailbox. Take this nugget and apply it to your own life. You will notice your paper stacks will not grow as fast. Deal-with-the-mail-as-soon-as-you-get-it. Questions?

No Ava-ism today but I do have a good joke: A young businessman had just started his own firm. He rented a beautiful office and had it furnished with antiques. Sitting there, he saw a man come into the outer office. Wishing to appear the hot shot, the businessman picked up the phone and started to pretend he had a big deal working.

He threw huge figures around and made giant commitments. Finally he hung up and asked the visitor, "Can I help you?"

The man said, "Yeah, I've come to activate your phone lines."

No comments: